Lake Balaton is alive and well in autumn. Here’s how to enjoy it to the fullest this season.
1. Find a guesthouse with a roaring fire
Many guesthouses at Lake Balaton stay open in autumn and the ones with fireplaces, such as Zsóka Fogadója in Szentantalfa, Fürjes Udvarház in Vászoly or Babérliget Guesthouse in Polány, are the best for relaxation after a long day spent hiking and drinking wine.
2. Take an active sporty break
Some hotels around Lake Balaton are either situated in an environment perfect for sport or they put an emphasis on an active lifestyle – look for these if you need any motivation to lead a healthier lifestyle.
3. Splash around at a pleasant spa
4. Savour champagne from its producer
Balaton might be rich in winemaking regions, but wine isn’t the only thing made from grapes here – more and more producers are venturing into producing champagne.
5. Sip heartwarming Olaszriesling
Olaszriesling is the most common variety of wine at Balaton. Amazing examples can be found around the various winemaking regions of the area, perfect for autumn evenings.
6. Taste the latest vintage on a wine terrace
7. Taste the flavours of autumn
8. Enjoy the Indian summer on a terrace
The Indian summer is perfect for great hikes and relaxation on the terraces of autumn-opening restaurants, such as newbie Taberna Infinito on Szent György-hegy or the remodelled St Orban in Badacsony.
9. Eat quality Hungarian cuisine
Hungarian cuisine and autumn go together well. Visit Zománc in Vászoly or János Vendéglő in Siófok for traditional domestic dishes of excellent quality.
10. Spoil yourself with a tasty dessert
Some confectioneries stay open after summer, and they feel cosier now that the crowds are gone. Villa Gréta in Siófok on the south shore and Mónisüti in Gyenesdiás on the north are both perfect for sweet bites.
11. Sit by church ruins and ponder
12. Visit exhibitions around the lake
There are plenty of permanent and temporary exhibitions around the lake to keep you busy even on a rainy day. Both Dubniczay Palace in Veszprém and Kogart in Tihany have exciting artwork on display this autumn.
13. Climb the solitary hills of Lake Balaton
14. Scale the towers at Keszthelyi-hegység
15. Swim in Lake Balaton while you can
Adventurous souls brave the waves of Lake Balaton even in October. A swim in the cool waters will get the blood flowing, and the beaches are definitely not crowded at this time of the year.
16. Explore the marshes of the south shore
17. Test yourself at an adventure park
18. Chill out at an indoor concert
Although most major towns at Balaton have indoor concert venues, Veszprém stands out thanks to the popular Hangvilla – keep an eye on their calendar to see what’s in store.
19. Find the best harvest festival at the lake
Autumn means harvest festivals and wine: one of the biggest takes place at Balatonfüred in the middle of October, but there are plenty of other seasonal food and wine celebrations to look out for.