The tower was built in 1972 on 221 m Garga-hegy by the forestry department of the Keszthely municipality. A brand new structure was erected in 2013. It is named after priest, teacher and polyhistor Mátyás Bél, who was the first to describe Hungary’s geographic history in his five-volume book published in 1735. He also wrote a book about the ancient Hungarian writing system called rovásírás.
How to reach the tower: Leave Balatongyörök and follow the S, S+ and P signs.
8313 Balatongyörök, Bél Mátyás kilátó
+36 83 346 368