The castle, which has inspired many poets and writers over the centuries, was mentioned for the first time in 1270. During its most intense siege in 1707 Marshal Rabutin and his troops launched an unsuccessful attempt to conquer the castle, defended by a group of just thirty kuruc soldiers.

After Rákóczi's War of Independence, this castle was also destroyed by the Habsburgs. A new troop of conquerors arrived in 1953, but it was only a group of peaceful archaeologists this time. Despite their efforts, the castle is now in deplorable condition, which has prompted the locals to organize the Gyulaffy Days every year to raise funds for the reconstruction.

Related content

Admin mode